Traills Pass Trek
Trails Pass Trek - Named after George William Traill, the 2nd British Commissioner of Kumaon (1816-1836), Traill's Pass Trek (earlier called Pindari Kanda), is a mountain pass situated at the head of the Pindari glacier. The Trails pass bridges Pindari Valley with Lwan Valley and is said to be very difficult to cross. Despite the fact that the Pindari glacier attracts a large number of visitors each year, the summit of Trail's Pass remains elusive.
The journey begins from with your arrival at Delhi. Take an early morning train from Delhi to Kathgodam. Upon your arrival, take a cab ride to Kausani enjoying the views of the lower Kumaon Himalayas. Once you have arrived at Kausani, check in to your hotel. Enjoy a delicious dinner meal and later retire for the day. Since the trekking part begins the next day.
Also See: Brahmatal Trek
Wake up early and drive to Kharkiya- the starting point of Traill's Pass Trek. Head towards Khati and then to the Base Camp via Dwali. The trail will follow the river Pindar, watch the confluence of Pindar and Kafani River. And if it's a clear day, you can have a great view of the summit point of Nanda Devi East.
The trail passes through the thick forest and river stream, finally reaching Thakta Kharak Camp (Advanced Base Camp). The Advanced Base Camp will be your resting point and acclimatizing as well. Witness the magical views of Pindari valley giants and huge pindari ice falls from the camp. Later pitch your tents and retire for the day.
Pindari Glacier is a massive icefall that passes across a steep slope and has yet to be traversed directly. Above this are the neighbouring heights' ice fields, as well as the glacier's 8-kilometer-long névé basin, which is divided from the ridge above by a textbook-style bergschrund. An enormous wall of jagged, fractured ice crisscrosses its left lateral moraine, crisscrossed with thousands of seracs and crevasses. The glacier's top icefields are undetectable from this vantage point, and the near-level ice mass at the snout below fades into insignificance.
Starting the day ascending on the glacier and reach the base of the rock wall. Get the adventure of rock climbing with a mix of snow and ice as well. Witness Pindari Valley and Johar valley on the way to Traill's Pass. Once you reach the Traill's Pass, you can witness the panoramic sight of Nanda Lapak, Nanda Khat, Nanda Devi and Nanda Devi East, Changuch, Raj-Rambha.
Later, continue descending through Salang River and Martoli Village- the biggest abandoned village in the valley. Enjoy local sightseeing at Martoli and later head to Nahar Devi for souvenir shopping. Reach Dhaba, which is the endpoint of the trek. From there, take a short drive to Kathgodam (via Munsiyari and Dhaul Chinna).
Take a train from Kathgodam to Delhi, ending this adventurous trip.
The Pindari glacier and Traill's Pass, by Himalayan standards, fall short of the majority of the giants. Neither of the Pindari Glacier or the Traill's Pass is Largest or the longest. But since the mid 19th century when it was first crossed in 1830, a bridle trail with dak huts at suitable intervals between Pindari and Almora was established. This led Pindari to be the most frequently visited Himalayan glacier. Even today, it is such a popular hiking destination that a tenfold increase in the number of available beds is insufficient to keep up with the demand.
1. Shirts / T-shirts –5/6, Trekking Pants -5-6
2. Windproof jacket of decent quality preferably with a hood
3. Warm and thick Fleece / Full-sleeve Woollen sweater
4. Thermal inner wear (upper & lower), Scarf/muffler
5. Woollen cap, Woollen gloves, Woollen socks & regular socks (5-6 pairs)
6. Comfortable Trekking (Waterproof shoes with a thick sole are recommended)
7. Lightweight floaters/sandals/slippers
8. Raincoat / Poncho, Small quick dry towel
9. Water bottle (sturdy ones)
10. Cap / Hat to keep the strong sun away from your face
11. Sun glasses (polarized/UV Protected), Walking stick / Trekking pole
12. Sunscreen Lotion, Lip Balm, Torch / Flashlight (with extra batteries)
13. Medicines, if requiring any specific medication
14. Personal toiletries
15. Day pack/small bag in case if you are planning to offload your regular backpack
16. Hand Sanitizer
17. Extra face masks
18. Valid government ID proof (Passport)
1. All Stays during the trek in Hotel, Guest Houses and Tents as per the itinerary.
2. All transportation from Delhi to Guest House/ Hotel on day 1 and back to Delhi on day 20.
3. Hot water in buckets shall be provided on request while staying at the Hotel/ Guest House.
4. Meals on a MAP basis during your stay at the guest house and all meals (Breakfast + Lunch + Evening snacks + Dinner) during the trek.
5. Skilled local staff who have ample knowledge of the route.
6. Kitchen, dining and toilet tents will be used during the trek.
7. Cooks/Helper for carrying common equipment like rations/tents/utensils/groceries.
8. All trek essentials included–
Accommodation - tents, sleeping bags, sleeping mats etc
9. Experienced trek leader who has ample knowledge of the route.
10. Basic First aid Kit with a portable oxygen cylinder
11. Forest entry and permit fee.
1. The above trek charges do not include the GST charges (5%).
2. Personal essentials -
(i) Equipment - Gumboots, trekking poles, etc.
(ii) Insurance - Personal and travel insurance.
(iii) Beverage - Mineral water bottles/bottled or canned beverages
(iv) Snacks - Chocolate, dry fruits, protein, or nutrition bar.
(v) Entertainment - Camera or drone fees.
3. Flight charges to reach and depart from Delhi
4. In case if your trek remains incomplete or uninitiated because of ""force majeure"", medical emergency, or by personal choice after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get a refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain unutilized by you.
5. Any additional cost incurred due to changes in Government Guidelines related to travel/trek/COVID-19 will be borne by the Guest.
6. Anything which is not included in Inclusion.
1. If cancellations are made 26 days prior to the start date of your trek/tour/activity, no cancellation fee will be charged.
2. If cancellations are made between 8-25 days prior to the start date of your trek/tour/activity, 25% of the total package amount will be charged as cancellation fee.
3. If cancellations and rescheduling are made within 7 days from the start date of your trek/tour/activity, 100% of the total booking amount will be charged as a cancellation fee.
4. Guest can reschedule the tour/trek/activity between 8-25 days prior to the start date of your trek/tour/activity (Depending on the availability), after this period no rescheduling can be done and no amount can be refunded.
5. Rescheduling of the tour/trek/activity is applicable only once, after that if you want to cancel or reschedule the trek/tour/activity again, it will not be possible and no refund will be processed.
6. If you book the tour/trek/activity by making a partial payment of the total booking amount and fail to make the 100% payment before 26 days from the date of travel. In this case, your booking will get canceled automatically and can only be reconfirmed once you make the full payment, depending on the availability of slots.
7. In case if your tour/trek/activity remains incomplete or uninitiated because of "force majeure", medical emergency, government policy changes, local strikes, or by personal choice after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get a refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain underutilized by you.
8. In case if your tour/trek/activity gets cancelled because of "force majeure", medical emergency, government policy changes, local strikes between 0-7 days from your date of travel, you will be eligible to reschedule the date of your trek/tour/activity or you can get a credit note of the amount paid, however no cash refund will be possible in this case.
9. Cancellations are strictly subjected to cancellation policies mentioned on the website & are irrespective of the date of booking.
10. The applicable refund amount will be processed within 10 business days.
Average Rating 4.5