Gangotri 1 | Gangotri Trek
Gangotri Trek : Men die, but travellers live on indefinitely! They live on worn paths, crushed snow, whistling woodlands, and ruffled leaves blown away by the autumn breeze. Gangotri Glacier Trek is a thrilling trek in the Gharwal Himalayas that provides a remarkable trip to the Ganga River's source. Walking in the shadow of the Guardian Mountains at altitudes ranging from 4000 to 6500 metres is the ultimate trip for adventure enthusiasts.
Arrive at Delhi and check into your hotel. Post lunch, attend the mandatory briefing at the IMF (Indian Mountaineering Foundation) and meet the Liaison officer for the climb. After the briefing, catch an overnight train to Dehradun. Take a cab to your guesthouse, Uttarkashi upon your arrival. Meanwhile, you can enjoy a scenic drive on the way.
In case, you are missing any trekking gear, you can lend it from Nehru Institute of Mountaineering, Uttarkashi, and drive to Gangotri. Inhabited by sadhus and pilgrims, Gangotri is famous for the Gangotri Dham. Take a small tour of beautiful temples around. After a sightseeing tour around the city, retire for the day.
Also See: Kedarkantha Trek
The expedition reaches an astonishing height of 21889 ft. covered in 23 days and 24 nights. And, is continued with proper acclimatization periods and buffer days for bad weather. Journey beside the Bhagirathi River and pass through birch and maple trees as you hike towards Nalla camp (via Rudragaira Nalla). Pitch your tents and retire for the day.
Have your breakfast and get ready to hike Gangotri 1 base camp. The trail starts with steep climbs over a meadow followed by a river crossing and another to the Rudugaira base camp. Keep trekking over the glacial moraine to the base camp, and spend an overnight in the camp. The following day, have some rest and acclimatize your body.
A period of 10 days is dedicated to the climbing period. By the time you will be reaching the summit point, you will set 3 camps. In addition to that, 2 days are dedicated for any contingency in the trek due to bad weather. Have your moment of celebration achieving the summit and later descend to Gangotri from the Base Camp.
Once you have arrived Gangotri, drive back to Mussoorie and then to Dehradun. Catch a train to Delhi and debrief at the IMF.
The Gangotri I Trip ends here!
Why choose Gangotri Glacier trek?
For obvious reasons, the Gangotri Glacier is both an adventurer's paradise and a pilgrim's destination. However, because this is one of the most remote sites in the Himalayas, it is not a welcoming tourist destination. And the abundance of challenges throughout the expedition, is why it attracts all of the adrenaline junkies in the world. Apart from that, the weather is unpredictably variable and can change at any time during the hike. It's best to bring enough clothing and trekking equipment up there. Check out our complete list of essentials for this adventure hike.
What's the best time for planning a trek to Gangotri Glacier?
The best months to visit Gangotri Glacier are mid-April to June and September to November. The weather isn't too hot or too cold, and there isn't a lot of rain. As a result, trekking is not perilous. The Gangotri Glacier Trek is best done during the summer months, when the skies are clear, and the sun is shining brightly. Apart from summer, spring is another popular time to visit Gangotri. Trekking in the spring is so much pleasure because there is so much greenery around and the weather is so beautiful.
The Gangotri Glacier Trek should not be undertaken during the monsoon or winter months. As the road to Chardham is closed during the winter due to significant snowfall, while the monsoon makes things tough with slippery pathways. The route is closed from November to March.
1. Shirts / T-shirts –5/6, Trekking Pants -5-6
2. Windproof jacket of decent quality preferably with a hood
3. Warm and thick Fleece / Full-sleeve Woollen sweater
4. Thermal inner wear (upper & lower), Scarf/muffler
5. Woollen cap, Woollen gloves, Woollen socks & regular socks (5-6 pairs)
6. Comfortable Trekking (Waterproof shoes with a thick sole are recommended)
7. Lightweight floaters/sandals/slippers
8. Raincoat / Poncho, Small quick dry towel
9. Water bottle (sturdy ones)
10. Cap / Hat to keep the strong sun away from your face
11. Sun glasses (polarized/UV Protected), Walking stick / Trekking pole
12. Sunscreen Lotion, Lip Balm, Torch / Flashlight (with extra batteries)
13. Medicines, if requiring any specific medication
14. Personal toiletries
15. Day pack/small bag in case if you are planning to offload your regular backpack
16. Hand Sanitizer
17. Extra face masks
18. Valid government ID proof (Passport)
1. All Stays during the trek in guest houses, tents as per the itinerary.
2. All transportation from Delhi to Guest House/ Hotel on day 1 and back to Delhi on day 22.
3. Hot water in buckets shall be provided on request while staying at the Hotel/ Guest House.
4. Meals on a MAP basis during your stay at the guest house and all meals (Breakfast + Lunch + Evening snacks + Dinner) during the trek.
5. Skilled local staff who have ample knowledge of the route.
6. Kitchen, dining and toilet tents will be used during the trek.
7. Cooks/Helper for carrying common equipment like rations/tents/utensils/groceries.
8. All trek essentials included–
Accommodation - tents, sleeping bags, sleeping mats etc.
9. Experienced trek leader who has ample knowledge of the route.
10. Basic First aid Kit with a portable oxygen cylinder
11. Forest entry and permit fee
1. The above trek charges do not include the GST charges (5%).
2. Personal essentials -
(i) Equipment - Gumboots, trekking poles, etc.
(ii) Insurance - Personal and travel insurance.
(iii) Beverage - Mineral water bottles/bottled or canned beverages
(iv) Snacks - Chocolate, dry fruits, protein, or nutrition bar.
(v) Entertainment - Camera or drone fees.
3. Flight charges to reach and depart from Delhi
4. In case if your trek remains incomplete or uninitiated because of ""force majeure"", medical emergency, or by personal choice after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get a refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain unutilized by you.
5. Any additional cost incurred due to changes in Government Guidelines related to travel/trek/COVID-19 will be borne by the Guest.
6. Anything which is not included in Inclusion.
1. If cancellations are made 26 days prior to the start date of your trek/tour/activity, no cancellation fee will be charged.
2. If cancellations are made between 8-25 days prior to the start date of your trek/tour/activity, 25% of the total package amount will be charged as cancellation fee.
3. If cancellations and rescheduling are made within 7 days from the start date of your trek/tour/activity, 100% of the total booking amount will be charged as a cancellation fee.
4. Guest can reschedule the tour/trek/activity between 8-25 days prior to the start date of your trek/tour/activity (Depending on the availability), after this period no rescheduling can be done and no amount can be refunded.
5. Rescheduling of the tour/trek/activity is applicable only once, after that if you want to cancel or reschedule the trek/tour/activity again, it will not be possible and no refund will be processed.
6. If you book the tour/trek/activity by making a partial payment of the total booking amount and fail to make the 100% payment before 26 days from the date of travel. In this case, your booking will get canceled automatically and can only be reconfirmed once you make the full payment, depending on the availability of slots.
7. In case if your tour/trek/activity remains incomplete or uninitiated because of "force majeure", medical emergency, government policy changes, local strikes, or by personal choice after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get a refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain underutilized by you.
8. In case if your tour/trek/activity gets cancelled because of "force majeure", medical emergency, government policy changes, local strikes between 0-7 days from your date of travel, you will be eligible to reschedule the date of your trek/tour/activity or you can get a credit note of the amount paid, however no cash refund will be possible in this case.
9. Cancellations are strictly subjected to cancellation policies mentioned on the website & are irrespective of the date of booking.
10. The applicable refund amount will be processed within 10 business days.
Average Rating 4.5