If you are searching for one of the best family treks in India, Chopta, Uttarakhand will stand out from all of them. Even if you are a sobbing 10-year-old child or a cranky 70-year-old grandma, Chopta trek will ease you out with a perfect tinch of adventures. It gives you a not so difficult terrain but a splendid view of the entire Himalayan region. A trek with an apt amount of adventure to savor, utmost comfort to snug, and breathtaking views to seep in.
Chandrashila peak has a famous legend attached to it. Stories say, when moon-god Chadra was kicked out of the Devlok, he came to this peak to undertake his penance, giving the peak its name and fame. Mythology also says, Lord Ram too meditated at this famous peak after defeating the demon king - Ravana. This trek is more than just an expedition, it's a journey through vibrant mythological stories and legends.
A beginner’s delight, chandrashila trek (Also sometimes known as Chopta Tungnath Trek, Chopta Chandrashila trek and Chopta Tungnath Chandrashila trek ) is an ideal trek for those who want to start with the adventures of this spectacular world of the trek. Offering not much sturdiness and difficulty, one who wishes to enjoy panoramic views of India’s highest peak Mt. Nanda Devi and other peaks such as Mt. Trishul and Mt. Chaukhamba, this trek gives you all. Right from the start, it will be a rollercoaster of incredible experiences and marvellous thrills.
One of the highlights of this trek is the 'Tungnath Temple'. According to the legends, this temple is one of the Panch Kedar temples and literally means Lord of the peaks. Indian mythology says that when Vyas Rishi informed the Pandavas that they are guilty of slaying their own brother - Kauravas, only Lord Shiva can liberate them from this guilt. Hence Pandavas embarked on the journey to find Lord Shiva who had already taken the form of a bull to avoid the Pandavas. Later, five different body parts of Lord Shiva were found at five different locations where then temples were erected. Hence Tugnath is the most revered temple in Panch Kedar, making this trek extremely holy.
Tugnath is the highest Shiva temples at an astounding altitude of 12,000 ft. Sitting quietly on a large clearing with a blanket of snow covering the above part, it resonates with an environment of peace and self-fulfilment. The Tungnath trek distance of 4 km from Chopta to Tugnath is absolutely easy and accessible by all. After only a few hours of a stroll through the narrow trails and open valleys, you will reach the famous site of Tungnath temple.
The very opening of this entire journey is camping in the middle of pure lush green meadows. Unlike other treks, you don't have to take on a difficult expedition to find such an amazing place to camp, right on the first day you will drive down from Rishikesh to the campsite in Chopta. Other than driving being extremely pleasing, one of the unique things to witness is the Rudraprayag and Devprayag. Both being confluence points of multiple rivers gifts you a chance to spot an astonishing sight.
Doesn’t it look like a perfect place to plan a quirky little picnic here with your friends and enjoy a peal of good old laughter? Indeed, even Chopta in December remains verdant and gives you an experience of camping in the middle of a large garden. How about taking a morning stroll with chirping birds and splendid views of mighty mountains? Isn’t it too thrilling to miss?
The next exciting thing which comes on your way is the trek to the highest point of the journey - the chandrashila peak. Standing at an altitude of 13,100 ft, it takes quite a good level of effort to conquer the peak. Though the trail is majorly steep and snowy, it is absolutely fine for all kinds of people. The best thing about this trek is that it offers the enjoyment of both - leisure and adventure at two different times during the trek. Chopta is the ultimate place to chill and relax, whereas chandrashila is full of adventures, thrills, and funny stories. Chopta to Chandrashila trek distance is only about 9 km, which will hardly take about 4-5 hours to complete.
The Chadrashila summit is too difficult, to sum up in a few sets of words. As it is a perfect family trek, chandrashila places astonishing views of the Himalayas and the valley without even taking so much pain. It's like experiencing a real adventurous high altitude trek on a lesser altitude. A Moustache secret tip - The magnificent views of Mt. Nanda Devi is an eye-catcher. When you are standing on the top of Chandrashila, Mt. Nanda Devi seems to be hugging the entire range. It looks like you are standing almost in front of it and you can trace the entire length from the foothills to the very top of the mountain.
From Chandrashila, you then get transferred to another thrilling experience of trekking through the forests of Deoria Tal. The route from Sari to Deoria Tal is a very different kind of trail. Taking you through beautifully colored meadows and oak forests, the trail will offer you a remarkable experience to trudge through rhododendrons and bright-colored plants.
But the highlight of this entire trek from Sari to Deoria Tal is, of course, the glittering Deoria Tal lake. The trek takes you to a place resting in the middle of mountains with a large sparkling lake surrounded by lush green plants and meadows.
That is how this entire journey will be - a perfect blend of comfortability with the thrills of mountains. The Chandrashila weather and Tungnath weather remains very pleasant throughout the summers but a little colder during the winters. Both the Chandrashila temperature and Tungnath temperature depend much on the season you are visiting. In summers the temperature will dangle between 10 to 15 degrees and 1 - 7 degrees in winters. The best time to visit Chopta or Tungnath depends on the level of adventure and the kind of weather you like. But despite all these nitty-gritty, this trek is a must for someone who is a die-hard mountain lover.
Please note: Chopta and Chandrashila treks are not two different treks, but are two different components of a single trek. Book yourself a seat with us for Chopta Chandrashila trek package today!
Day 1: Drive from Rishikesh to Chopta
Altitude: 8,556 ft.
Meal Included: Dinner
Stay Type: Stay in swiss tents on a double/triple sharing basis.
Drive: 166 km (6 hrs drive)
Day 2: Trek to Chandrashila peak via Tungnath and back to Chopta
Altitude: 8,556 ft to 13,120 ft and back to 8,556 ft
Meals Included: Breakfast - Lunch - Evening Snacks - Dinner
Stay Type: Stay in swiss tents on a double/triple sharing basis.
Trek: 9 km (4-5 hrs)
Day 3: Drive to Sari and trek to Deoriatal, stay in tents
Altitude: 8,556 ft to 6,600 ft and to 8,000 ft
Meals included: Breakfast - Lunch - Evening Snacks - Dinner
Stay type: Stay in tents on a double/triple sharing basis.
Drive: 12 km (1 hr)
Trek: 3 km (90 min)
Day 4: Trek to Sari and departure for Rishikesh
Trek: 3 km (60 min)
Altitude: 8,000 ft to 6,600 ft
Meals included: Breakfast
Drive: 194 Km (8 Hrs)
The trek ends here.
Air: You can book your flights for Dehradun (Jolly Grant airport) and from there take a shared or private cab to chopta.
Road: You can take a bus to reach the Rishikesh bus stand and from take a private / shared cab to reach Chopta.
Rail: Book a train to Rishikesh railway station and from take a private / shared cab to reach Chopta.
1. Shirts / T-shirts –2/3, Jeans / Trekking Pants -1
2. Windproof jacket of decent quality (no flimsy wind cheaters please!) preferably with a hood
3. Warm and thick Fleece / Full-sleeve Woollen sweater
4. Thermal inner wear (upper & lower), Scarf/muffler (optional)
5. Woollen cap, Woollen gloves, Woollen socks & regular socks (3-4 pairs)
6. Comfortable Trekking/Hiking shoes (shoes with a thick sole are recommended)
7. Lightweight floaters/sandals/slippers
8. Raincoat / Poncho, Small light weight towel
9. Water bottle (sturdy ones, no empty Bisleri bottles!!)
10. Cap / Hat to keep the strong sun away from your face
11. Sun glasses, Walking stick / Trekking pole
12. Sunscreen Lotion, Lip Balm, Torch / Flashlight (with extra batteries)
13. Medicines, if requiring any specific medication
14. Personal toiletries
15. Backpack 60L
1. You will be greeted by our trek team with a welcome drink on your arrival to Chopta.
2. All stays included from Chopta to Deoria Tal on double / triple sharing basis:
(i) Swiss tents on day 1 & 2.
(ii) Alpine / Dome tents on day 3.
3. All meals included from Day 1 dinner to Day 4 breakfast. Vegetarian meals will be served throughout the trek.
4. Skilled local staff who have ample knowledge of the route
5. Hot water for drinking purposes is available at the respective campsites.
6. Kitchen, dining and toilet tents will be used during the trek.
7. Cooks/Helper for carrying common equipment like rations/tents/utensils/groceries.
8. All trek essentials included–
(i) Accommodation - tents, sleeping bags, sleeping mats etc
(ii) Safety equipment - microspikes, gaiters as per requirements and basic first aid kit with a portable oxygen cylinder.
(iii) Permit - forest and camping fee included.
1. The above trek charges do not include the GST charges (5%).
2. Personal essentials -
(i) Equipment - Gumboots, trekking poles, sleeping bag, liners etc.
(ii) Insurance - Personal and travel insurances.
(iii) Beverage - Mineral water bottles/bottled or canned beverages
(iv) Snacks - Chocolate, dry fruits, protein or nutrition bar.
(v) Entertainment - Camera or drone fees.
3. Transportation - The charges of transportation on day 1 and 4 are to be borne and shared between the trekkers.
4. In case if your trek remains incomplete or uninitiated because of "force majeure", medical emergency or by personal choice after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain unutilized by you.
5. Any additional cost incurred due to changes in Government Guidelines related to travel/trek/COVID-19 will be borne by the Guest.
6. Anything which is not included in Inclusion.
7. Separate tents can be provided on request at an additional cost.
1. If cancellations are made within 2 days prior to the start of the trek, 100% advance will be charged as cancellation fee.
2. If cancellations are made between 3-7 days prior to the start of the trek, EITHER 75% of total package amount will be returned to the guest (25% of total package amount will be charged as cancellation fee) OR whole advance amount can be adjusted against any trek within next 6 months.
3. If cancellations are made prior to 7 days from the start of the trek, 100% of the total advance will be refunded.
4. If you book the trek by paying 25% of the booking amount and fail to make the 100% payment before 25 days from date of travel. In this case, your booking will get cancelled automatically and can only be reconfirmed once you make the full payment, depending on the availability of slots.
5. In case if your trek remains incomplete or uninitiated because of ""force majeure"", medical emergency or by personal choice after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain underutilized by you.
6. Cancellations are strictly subjected to cancellation policies mentioned on the website & are irrespective of the date of booking.
7. The applicable refund amount will be processed within 10 business days.