Sandakphu trek gives you the opportunity to add an extra feather to your hat of extraordinary experiences. It also instils a feeling of victory and elevation when standing over the highest peak of the West Bengal. You not only stand on the highest peak but amongst the greatest peaks of the world. The sheer gravity of that moment is much larger than life and your entire bouquet of experiences.
Also See: Brahmatal Trek
One thing which sets apart this trek is the uniqueness of its location. You don’t have to get bored by trekking on the same old routes of Uttarakhand or Himachal Pradesh, but meandering through the other side of the Himalayan region on the India – Nepal border. The other idea which attracts a lot of attention from the trekkers is that you get the chance to do a multi–national trek which interestingly means, you get to trek on the lands of two different countries - India and Nepal.
Can you imagine you are standing in India and buying tea from Nepal? Isn’t the mere thought so amazing? What if, one leg of yours in India and the other in Nepal, wouldn’t it be an experience of the entire century? That’s how astounding is the Sandakphu trek. Everything keeping aside, though you must have read this a thousand time but the centrality of this trek hovers over the idea of spotting four of the five highest peaks of the world. The magnificent Mt. Lhotse and Mt. Makalu will be the first ones to be spotted. If you have got all the luck of your life right on your palm, you will also get a view of the incredible Mt. Everest. To your right, you will have the breathtaking view of the Kanchenjunga family of peaks watching directly in your eyes and calling you.
Though the Sandakphu trekking is closed only in the season of the monsoon but the best time to savour the ever amazing Sandakphu weather is do it either in Autumn or Winters. The light cold air and pleasant sun of September and October makes it a very pleasing experience all together. Trekking in Autumn is astonishing in itself because then you can spot blooming red and pink rhododendrons and magnolia and greenish meadows on the entire route.
Also See: Popular Treks in Himachal
By the time monsoon ends, you get spectacular views of verdant clearings and viridescent tops of short mountains. Whereas in the winters, you will have altogether a very different experience of mild snowy atmosphere. Unlike in Autumn, months between December – February will have you by the shock of awe-inspiring views of patched snow fields, dense forests and grassy meadows. Winters in Sandakphu are much milder in contrast to winters in high altitude peaks of Uttarakhand or Himachal Pradesh. Snow is very mild yet pleasing and the Sandakphu temperature drops maximum to 1-2 degree Celsius. But no matter what weather you choose to do Sandakphu, it will surprise you with its pleasant surprises and wonders.
Majority of the trek happens over the Singalila ridge, from where you can almost see 5 – 10 km far from your standing. The trail passes through the Singalila National Park which again is a major attraction to naturalists and bird watchers. The region being rich with diverse flora and fauna, you might also spot few of the rarest species of birds and get some amazing captures for your gallery. But amidst all of these things, one cannot choose to ignore the surprising Red Pandas. The national park is a natural habitat for a lot of them, and if you are at the right time and at the right place, you can actually spot a Red Panda!
Sandakphu Tour also brings the adventure of spending time and living in few of the local villages which comes in your way while trekking. The region being home to 13 unique ethnic groups gives you the opportunity to receive the ever-warming hospitality and the chance to taste some delicious local cuisine. If you befriend a local, you might also get a golden chance to learn to cook some of their local food and devour them.
Finally, though you will be trekking at an astounding Sandakphu height of 11, 900 ft. but Sandakphu trek is considered one of the long-distanced treks and the entirety of almost 46 km might leave in exhaustion. But a little building of stamina and morning exercises for a few weeks will easily prepare you to conquer the highest peak in West Bengal. Come, join us to the best expedition experience in the state of West Bengal amidst the tall peeping trees and blooming rhododendrons. Book our Sandakphu tour and trek package today.
The trek ends here.
1. Shirts / T-shirts –2/3, Jeans / Trekking Pants -2
2. Windproof jacket of good quality (no flimsy wind cheaters please!) Ideally with a hood
3. Warm and thick Fleece / Full-sleeve Woollen sweater
4. Thermal inner wear (upper & lower),Scarf/muffler (optional)
5. Woollen cap, Woollen gloves, Woollen socks & regular socks (3-4 pairs)
6. Comfortable Trekking/Hiking shoes (Waterproof shoes with a thick sole are recommended)
7. Lightweight floaters/sandals/slippers
8. Raincoat / Poncho, Small quick dry towel
9. Water bottle (sturdy ones, no empty Bisleri bottles!!)
10. Cap / Hat to stay the powerful sun away from your face
11. Sun glasses (polarized/UV Protected), Walking stick / Trekking pole
12. Sunscreen Lotion, Lip Balm, Torch / Flashlight (with extra batteries)
13. Medicines, if requiring any specific medication
14. Personal toiletries
15. Day pack/small bag in case if you are planing to offload your regular backpack
16. Hand Sanitizer
17. Extra face masks
18. Camera if you like (with fully charged batteries)
1. You will be greeted by our trek team with a welcome drink on your arrival to Manebhanjan.
2. All stays included from Manebhanjan to Srikhola on sharing basis:
(i) Guest house from Day 1 to Day 5
3. All meals included from Day 1 dinner to Day 6 breakfast. Vegetarian meals will be served throughout the trek.
4. Skilled local staff who have ample knowledge of the route
5. Hot water in buckets can be provided on request depending on availability, while staying in guest houses at Manebhanjan, Sandakphu and Srikhola only.
6. Singalila National Park entry fee & trek leader fee included.
7. Drive from Manebhanjan to Chitrey included
8. First Aid kit will be available throughout the trek.
9. Covid Related Information
1. The above trek charges do not include the GST charges (5%).
2. Personal essentials -
(i) Insurance - Personal and travel insurances.
(ii) Beverage - Mineral water bottles/bottled or canned beverages
(iii) Snacks - Chocolate, dry fruits, protein or nutrition bar.
(iv) Entertainment - Camera or drone fees.
3. Transportation - The charges of transportation on day 1 and 6 are to be borne and shared between the trekkers.
4. In case if your trek remains incomplete or uninitiated because of ""force majeure"", medical emergency or by personal choice after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain unutilized by you.
5. Any additional cost incurred due to changes in Government Guidelines related to travel/trek/COVID-19 will be borne by the Guest.
6. Anything which is not included in Inclusion.
1. If cancellations are made 26 days prior to the start date of your trek/tour/activity, no cancellation fee will be charged.
2. If cancellations are made between 8-25 days prior to the start date of your trek/tour/activity, 25% of the total package amount will be charged as cancellation fee.
3. If cancellations and rescheduling are made within 7 days from the start date of your trek/tour/activity, 100% of the total booking amount will be charged as a cancellation fee.
4. Guest can reschedule the tour/trek/activity between 8-25 days prior to the start date of your trek/tour/activity (Depending on the availability), after this period no rescheduling can be done and no amount can be refunded.
5. Rescheduling of the tour/trek/activity is applicable only once, after that if you want to cancel or reschedule the trek/tour/activity again, it will not be possible and no refund will be processed.
6. If you book the tour/trek/activity by making a partial payment of the total booking amount and fail to make the 100% payment before 26 days from the date of travel. In this case, your booking will get canceled automatically and can only be reconfirmed once you make the full payment, depending on the availability of slots.
7. In case if your tour/trek/activity remains incomplete or uninitiated because of "force majeure", medical emergency, government policy changes, local strikes, or by personal choice after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get a refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain underutilized by you.
8. In case if your tour/trek/activity gets cancelled because of "force majeure", medical emergency, government policy changes, local strikes between 0-7 days from your date of travel, you will be eligible to reschedule the date of your trek/tour/activity or you can get a credit note of the amount paid, however no cash refund will be possible in this case.
9. Cancellations are strictly subjected to cancellation policies mentioned on the website & are irrespective of the date of booking.
10. The applicable refund amount will be processed within 10 business days.
Q1. What is the best time for Sandakphu Trek?
Answer: The Sandakphu trek is open for almost 9 months i.e. October to June. The best time would be late summers and winters.
Q2. Is Sandakphu trek safe?
Answer: The Sandakphu trek is totally safe, you just need to pay heed to the trek guide.
Q3. Is Sandakphu trek good for solo travelers?
Answer: Yes, the sandakphu trek is good for solo and group trekkers, the majestic view of Mt. Everest and the hospitality of Nepal are worth going for the trek.
Q4. What activities are included in the Sandakphu trek?
Answer: The trek of Sandakphu includes mainly hiking and a short drive experience as per the activities offering.
Q5. Will food and safe drinking water be provided during this trek?
Answer: Yes, fresh food and safe drinking water will be provided during the Sandakphu trek, Our team will be taking care of the proper sanitation throughout the trek.
Q6. Which type of shoes should I carry?
Answer: We recommend you to buy proper hiking shoes with semi-waterproof layering.
Q7. What are the clothing and equipment that need to be carried from our end?
Answer: A proper list of Things to Carry is listed on our website under the Sandakphu trek site, you can prepare according to that.
Q8. Can I have liquor or smoke while we're on the trek?
Answer: No, it is strictly not allowed to carry or consume liquor or smoking while on the trek as it might cause high altitude sickness..
Q9. How is Sandakphu Trek weather?
Answer: The weather in the Sandakphu trek varies depending on the month you are travelling. The light cold air and pleasant sun of September and October makes it a very pleasing experience all together. Whereas in the winters, you will altogether have a very different experience of mild snowy atmosphere.
Q10. What are washroom/toilet facilities on the trek?
Answer: Shared and common washroom facilities will be provided during the trek of Sandakphu as per the respective itinerary stated on the website.
Q11. What kind of accommodation is provided during the Sandakphu trek?
Answer: There will be a mixed type of accommodation during the trek to Sandakphu, During Day 1 & 5 you will be staying in a guest house on a double or triple sharing basis and from Day 2 to 4 you will be staying in the dorm styled rooms.
Q12. Will there be snow on Sandakphu Trek?
Answer: Yes, during the late winters months you get to play with snow on Sandakphu Trek.
Q13. Which trek is better- Sandakphu or Goecha La?
Answer: Every trek has to offer something different in their style so no trek can be compared with each other. The Sandakphu offers a great view of Mt. Everest and the warm hospitality of the Nepal residents, on the other hand, Goechala Trek offers splendid sunrise views of Kanchenjunga peaks with a little difficult climb in comparison to Sandakphu.
Q14. What is the difficulty level of Sandakphu Trek?
Answer: The Sandakphu trek falls under the easy to moderate category of treks, as the distance that you cover at some parts of trek vary from 10 - 16 km per day. A trekker should be able to jog for 3-5 km on a single day and be able to hike to the highest peak of West Bengal.
Q15. What is the height of Sandakhphu trek?
Answer: The highest point in the trek will be Sandakphu and below are the accurate height structure -
Manebhanjan - Approx 6,325 ft
Chitrey - Approx - 8,340 ft
Tumling - Approx - 9,022 ft
Kalpokhri - Approx 9,875 ft
Sandakphu Peak - 11,929 ft
Q16. Is there any network availability at Sandakphu trek?
Answer: Yes, a mobile network is available at Manebhanjan base camp. You might get a Jio or Airtel network in some parts of the trek as well.
Q17. What kind of food will be provided for Sandakphu trek?
Answer: We will be providing proper vegetarian food on the Sandakphu trek, seasonal fresh food will be provided throughout the trek.
Q18. Is there an option to offload my backpack?
Answer: Yes, you can offload the backpack at an additional cost.
Q19. Is the trekking pole necessary?
Answer: The inclusion of trekking poles is based on the personal requirements, however, you can rent or buy such equipment from the local shops of Manebhanjan.
Q20. Are there any local stores/shops where I can shop trekking necessities?
Answer: Equipment is available on rentals only at Manebhanjan shops, however, the supply is limited with the local shops.
Q21. In case we opt for the transport with you, where will you pick us from and where will you drop?
Answer: If in case you opt to transport with us, then the pickup point will be the Siliguri bus stand or Bagdogra airport. The final destination of the pickup will be shared 24 hours before the DOT of the trek as per mutual agreement.
Q22. What time will you drop us at the end point on the last day of the trek?
Answer: You will be dropped at Srikhola at around 6 in the evening on Day 5 of the trek.
Q23. What are the mandatory documents required for Sandakphu trek?
Answer: A trekker must carry valid government ID proofs, which is to be submitted at the time of briefing.
Q24. Is it safe for a solo woman traveller to trek in Fixed departures?
Answer: Yes, it is and always will be very safe for a female solo trekker to go with the group fixed departures.
Q25. Can we do Sandakphu trek in June?
Answer: Yes, the Sandakphu trek is completely operational in the month of June.
Q26. How should I select my trekking shoe?
Answer: We recommend buying a shoe which has a high ankle and provides a good grip on any terrain.
Q27. What is the minimum & maximum age limit?
Answer: There is no such criteria of minimum or maximum age limit on the Sandakphu Trek, but we recommend a minimum age above 8 years should be considered.
Q28. Will you give certificates on completion of trek?
Answer: Yes, our team will be providing the trek completion certificate of Sandakphu trek.
Average Rating 4.5