Are you an adventure enthusiast but are stuck in the same boring office cabin of yours? Or have you got lucky with a weekend off from your mind exhausting studies? How about grasping this opportunity to break through your mundane life and walking through a forest of blooming pink and red Rhododendrons!
Moustache brings you the ever famous and the oldest Himalayan trek – The Triund Trek. The easiest yet charming of all the treks in Himachal Pradesh, this trek takes you on a fizzy and twisted paved trail through verdant oak forests and adorable meadows. The steep trail is marked with occasional go through routes from ancient local villages and Pahari dhabas whispering antique stories and offering the chance to befriend the locals.
If you are someone who loves to seep in the local culture through the window of food, this is the best place for you to talk to the warm-hearted locals and devour the delicious local cuisine. Another good thing about Triund trekking is that other than monsoon with pouring rains, Triund is accessible any time around the year. Though, if you want to enjoy the views of blooming vistas of flowers and trees, the best time to visit is between May – June, but if fields of pure white snow are what you seek, November – February is the most suitable time for you. Triund’s temperature in the winters varies between -10 C in the night to 10 C in the day. No matter whatever time you choose to trek, Triund’s weather always leaves you light-hearted and happy.
Triund’s height being 9350 ft, it serves a natural sanctuary for myriad songbirds and diverse wildlife, making it a sought-after destination for bird watchers and wildlife photographers. Doesn’t it look like an amazing place full of varied adventures and thrills? Yes, it definitely is. We do agree, that one needs to always relish the beauty of a journey and not the destination, but Triund is not only about the journey to the top but also the astounding summit and its breath-taking vastness in comparison to your life. Unlike the pointy tops of your dreamy mountains, Triund’s summit is a kind of a stony ridge with patched clearings for your camping.
It fulfils the dream of taking leisure strolls under the beaming navy sky in the night and whitish-blue clouds in the morning. With Triund trek's one-way distance only being around 9-10 km, you can easily trek for five hours with sufficient breaks to meet the locals and refill your water bottles and reach the summit by the afternoon. This gives you the freedom to do whatever you love to do – sing, dance, click photos, play games or simply find a corner to write poems, for the rest of the day and experience the life on the top of the mountains. Apart from all these, if the untimely rains don’t come pouring in, we will also organize a bonfire full of music and stories for you. Make friends, sing songs together, play dumb charades and weave the most beautiful canvas of memories for the rest of your life.
One shouldn’t forget the charming town of McLeod Ganj which is situated just above Dharamshala and near to Dharamkot in the Dhauladhar range of mountains. It inhabits an amazing set of theme-based cafes usually run by either locals or dynamic young travel lovers. Take an evening walk and choose any attractive café to savour scrumptious brunch or evening snacks (do taste home-baked cakes though).
The town also offers several tourist spots such as Namgyal Monastery, Kangra Fort, St. John's Church, Masrur Temple and Naggi point. Touring through these places will surely be an added cherry to your already creamy cake. McLeod Ganj temperature in summers is very pleasant ranging between 10 to 20 degrees celsius , but in winters, the temperature becomes a little cold and unpredictable, and sometimes going down to almost – 10 degrees Celsius . But despite all of the attractions McLeod Ganj offers, the entire journey of trekking from McLeod Ganj to Triund is nothing less than any other exotic experience of trekking in Himachal.
For stay we also have a beautiful backpacker hostel in McLeodganj.
For stay we also have a beautiful backpacker hostel in McLeodganj.
Day 1: Mcleodganj to Triund, via Mahana
Altitude: 6,831 ft to 9,350 ft
Trek: 9km (4-5 hrs)
Meals Included: Evening Snacks and Dinner (Lunch is optional and can be arranged at extra cost)
Stay Included: Stay in tents on a double/triple sharing basis
Day 2: Triund to Mcleodganj
Altitude: 9,350 ft to 6,381 ft
Trek: 9km (4-5 hrs)
Meals included: Breakfast
The trek ends here.
Air: Take a flight to Dharamshala airport and a cab to reach the base point, or else if the flight landing timings are past 10 am then you can book a stay for the day and join the trek next day.
Road: Volvo transfers are available from Delhi or Chandigarh to Mcleodganj, after reaching you can take a cab to report at the base point.
Rail: Take a train to Pathankot or Chandigarh railway station and from there you can take a shared cab or bus to reach Mcleodganj.
1. Shirts / T-shirts, Jeans / Trekking Pants
2. Windproof jacket of decent quality (no flimsy wind cheaters please!) preferably with a hood
3. Warm and thick Fleece / Full-sleeve Woollen sweater (in Winters)
4. Thermal inner wear (upper & lower), Scarf/muffler (optional)
5. Woollen cap, Woollen gloves & regular socks
6. Comfortable Trekking/Hiking shoes (Waterproof shoes with a thick sole are recommended)
7. Lightweight floaters/sandals/slippers
8. Raincoat / Poncho, Small quick dry towel
9. Water bottle (sturdy ones, no empty Bisleri bottles!!)
10. Cap / Hat to keep the strong sun away from your face
11. Sun glasses (polarized/UV Protected), Walking stick / Trekking pole (Optional)
12. Sunscreen Lotion, Lip Balm, Torch / Flashlight (with extra batteries)
13. Medicines, if requiring any specific medication
14. Personal toiletries
15. Hand Sanitizer
16. Extra face masks
1. Stay in Alpine/Dome tents on a sharing basis.
2. Meals included for Day 1 & 2
(i) Day 1 - Evening Snacks and Dinner
(ii) Day 2 - Breakfast
3. Skilled local staff who have ample knowledge of the route
4. Hot water for drinking purpose can be provided on request.
5. Trek essentials included–
(i) Accommodation - tents, sleeping bags, sleeping mats etc
(ii) Safety equipment - as per requirements and basic first aid kit.
6. All govt. and forest permit charges
1. The above trek charges does not include the GST charges (5%).
2. Personal essentials -
(i) Equipment - Gumboots, trekking poles, etc.
(ii) Insurance - Personal and travel insurances.
(iii) Beverage - Mineral water bottles/bottled or canned beverages
(iv) Snacks - Chocolate, dry fruits, protein or nutrition bar.
(v) Entertainment - Camera or drone fees.
3. Transportation - The charges of transportation to reach trek starting point.
4. In case if your trek remains incomplete or uninitiated because of "force majeure", medical emergency or by personal choice after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain unutilized by you.
5. Any additional cost incurred due to changes in Government Guidelines related to travel/trek/COVID-19 will be borne by the Guest.
6. Anything which is not included in Inclusion.
7. Separate tents on request, will be charged extra
1. If cancellations are made within 2 days prior to the start of the trek, 100% advance will be charged as cancellation fee.
2. If cancellations are made between 3-7 days prior to the start of the trek, EITHER 75% of total package amount will be returned to the guest (25% of total package amount will be charged as cancellation fee) OR whole advance amount can be adjusted against any trek within next 6 months.
3. If cancellations are made prior to 7 days from the start of the trek, 100% of the total advance will be refunded.
4. If you book the trek by paying 25% of the booking amount and fail to make the 100% payment before 25 days from date of travel. In this case, your booking will get cancelled automatically and can only be reconfirmed once you make the full payment, depending on the availability of slots.
5. In case if your trek remains incomplete or uninitiated because of "force majeure", medical emergency or by personal choice after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain underutilized by you.
6. Cancellations are strictly subjected to cancellation policies mentioned on the website & are irrespective of the date of booking.
7. The applicable refund amount will be processed within 10 business days.
Q1. What is the best time to go for Triund Trek?
Answer: The Triund Trek is open all year round, During the months of April-May-June, Sept-Oct to enjoy a lush green environment and the months of Nov-March to enjoy a chilly and snow-filled environment.
Q2. Which type of shoes should I carry on the trek to Triund?
Answer: We recommend using good quality sports/hiking shoes for the trek of Triund. We recommend waterproof hiking shoes as in mountains it might rain anytime
Q3. How is Triund Trek weather?
Answer: In summers it ranges between 10 to 25 degree celsius, however in winters it ranges between -5 to 10 degree celsius.
Q4. What activities are included in the Triund trek?
Answer: During the trek of Triund, you can enjoy a bonfire evening with light music while sharing your stories to other group mates and listening to their’s, and also you can enjoy the best stargazing in the region.
Q5. Can we consume alcohol in Triund trek, in case of the excessive cold?
Answer: No, it is not recommended to consume alcohol during the trek to Triund, as it might cause acute mountain sickness.
Q6. Is camping allowed in Triund trek?
Answer: Yes, camping is allowed in the Triund trek.*
Q7. What is the difficulty level of Triund Trek?
Answer: The Triund trek falls under the easy category, hence the path is well paved and will not require much effort to hike.
Q8. Is Diamox advisable at Triund Trek?
Answer: No, the Diamox is not advisable for the trek of Triund since you will be touching an altitude of 9,350 ft. You can carry the tablet and if you observe any symptoms of AMS then you can have it only on the recommendation of your trek leader.
Q9. What are washroom/toilet facilities on the Triund Trek Package?
Answer: The shared washroom/toilet facilities are available on the Triund Trek Package.
Q10. What kind of physical fitness will be required to do trekking in Triund?
Answer: A basic fitness level is required for the trek of Triund, a trekker should be able to jog for 2-3 km under 60 min.
Q11. How to reach Triund Trek Basecamp?
Answer: There are multiple ways to reach the Triund trek base camp, proper information is listed on the website under the Triund page.
Q12. Is Triund open all year round?
Answer: Yes, the Triund trek is open all year round except in monsoon season.
Q13. Can Triund Trek Booking be done in one day?
Answer: Yes, you can book the trek of Triund 24 hours before the start date after paying the full amount at the portal.
Q14. Will meals and water be included in the Triund Trek package?
Answer: Yes, meals are included in the Triund Trek package, you will be provided with Dinner on day 1 and breakfast on day 2.
Q15. What is the starting and ending point of the Triund Trek?
Answer: The start and end of the Triund Trek will be the Bhagsu Naag temple.
Q16. What is the minimum group size to avail Triund Trek package?
Answer: There are no criteria for a minimum group size for the Triund Trek, a solo traveler can also hop onto for the trek.
Q17. Are Pickup and Drop facilities available from Delhi for Triund Trek?
Answer: Yes, pickup and drop facility is available from delhi at an additional cost.
Q18. Is Triund Trek safe for Solo travelers and female travelers?
Answer: Yes, The Triund trek is and always will be very safe for solo and female travelers. Proper safety steps are being taken on the ground.
Q19. Can Triund be my first trek?
Answer: Yes, as it falls under the easy category and has gradual ascent throughout the trek, which makes it a perfect trek for first timers.
Q20. What is the total trek distance of Triund Trek?
Answer: Total distance of Triund trek is approx 18kms (9kms each side).
Q21. What is the overnight stay option at Triund Trek?
Answer: During the trek of Triund, you will be staying in Alpine/Dome tents. One can opt for Triund top stay or the Mahana campsite which is 2 km away from Triund Top and is less crowded.
Q22. What is Triund famous for?
Answer: The Triund trek is for the beautiful views of the valley and magical sunset and sunrise from the top.
Q23. What is the maximum altitude of Triund Trek?
Answer: The maximum altitude of the Triund Trek will be 9,350 ft when you reach the top.
Q24. Is there snowfall in Triund?
Answer: Yes, you can enjoy the snowfall in the Triund Trek from November to February.
Q25. Is there a network in Triund?
Answer: Yes, mobile networks are available throughout the trek of Triund.
Q26. What should I bring to a Triund Trek?
Answer: This is easy and not much of the equipment is required for the trek, a proper list of things to carry is listed on the website under the Triund trek page, you must check it.
Q27.What are the places to visit near Triund?
Answer: You can visit Bhagsu Falls, Bhagsu Nag Temple, Dal Lake, Dalai Lama Temple, and the market area of Mcleodganj near the Triund Trek.
Q28. Which are the other treks in Dharamshala and McLeodganj?
Answer: Other than the Triund trek, you can visit the Indrahar Pass trek, Kareri Trek, Bhagsu Trek, and many other treks.
Average Rating 4.5