Nestled in a great location of Himachal Pradesh, Laka Glacier Trek is another incredibly offbeat and famous trek. The 3 days hike through mountain views, snow and glacier, starts from the colourful and vibrant markets of Mcleodganj. And finally reaches the laka glacier height of 10,600 ft. above sea level.
The trek climbs up through the forests of the mountain and transports you to a high-altitude pasture surrounded by lush trees and mountains. This popular trek to Laka Glacier is only 13 kilometres long. Which is why, this trek is ideal for spontaneous and unplanned break from work that every soul wants from time to time.
Also See: Triund Trek
Embark on the thrilling Laka Glacier adventure and be awestruck by the stunning scenery of this region. Early in the morning, begin your hike from Mcleodganj. Explore the pure and unspoilt beauty of nature hidden in the Himalayas till you reach the Leta Camps. Take a brief trek around the campsite before retiring to your tent for the day with a nice meal.
The following day, wake up to a freshly prepared breakfast and get ready for the Triund Trek. The Triund trek distance crosses the gorgeous Dhauladhars on one side and the huge Kangra Valley on the other, ultimately reaching the Triund Top. Enjoy having a picnic at the Triund trek height of 9,350 ft in the natural setting. Later, continuing your journey from Triund to Laka Glacier.
After a 40-minute ascent to the Snowline, the trip falls to the beautiful green grazing fields known as 'Laka Got.' While taking in the magnificent views of the Dhauladhars, keep an eye out for the shy Himalayan wild goat or deer. As you approach the Laka Got Glacier, the last few kilometres are a tough incline.
Spend some time at the glacier taking in the scenery, playing in the snow, and building a snowman. Remember to snap pictures, and after you've had enough time, return to the Leta camp through Triund for another overnight tent stay. Sit beside a bonfire in the sheer silence of laka glacier weather, enjoying isolation accompanied with cold winds and starry sky.
Enjoy one final spectacular morning at the Leta campground, watching the sun rise behind the Dhauladhars. By the afternoon, you should be back in Mcleodganj. It shouldn't take more than three to four hours to walk downhill.
Marking the end of Laka Glacier Trek with lots of memories.
During the summer, Laka Glacier temperature ranges from 16 to 25 degrees Celsius during the day and 7 to 10 degrees Celsius at night.
During the winter, the temperature ranges from 14 to 18 degrees Celsius during the day and 1 to 5 degrees Celsius at night.
Dharamsala's latitudinal location provides an advantage in that it is quite close to the snowline. During the summer, you may reach the snowline at Laka Glacier after only 13 kilometres of walking. This is one of the most popular and picturesque hikes that can be completed in a short amount of time. The glacier is full of snow during the pre-monsoon season (March to June), but from July onwards, it begins to melt and recede, and during the post-monsoon season, there is no snow on the glacier and only the moraine is visible (the remnants of Glacier).
Mcleodganj is roughly 500 kilometres from Delhi and 250 kilometres from Chandigarh. You can either drive yourself or take public transportation such as the train, bus, or plane.
The night time Volvo is the best way to get to Mcleod Ganj from Delhi. Traveling by train is the second and cheapest way to go to McleodGanj or Triund. You can also reach via Pathankot, which is around 6-7 hours road trip to Mcleodganj.
Unlike other walks, the Laka Glacier Trek is not the final destination. There's a lot more to see and do for hikers. Triund is a great place to start if you want to learn more about the Himalayas and go trekking. Hiking to the snow line, viewing the Lakha Cave, and travelling to Indrahar Pass for more experienced hikers over several days are just a few of the sights to see.
The trek ends here!!
By Air: Take a flight to Delhi or Chandigarh airport and from there take a bus to reach Mcleodganj.
By Road: Mcleodganj is well connected from different parts of the country by road.
By Train: Take a train to Delhi, Chandigarh or Pathankot railway station and from there you can take a bus or cab to reach Mcleodganj.
1. Stay in Alpine/Dome tents on a sharing basis.
2. All meals during the trek, Day 1 Lunch to Day 3 Breakfast
3. Skilled local staff who have ample knowledge of the route
4. Trek essentials included–
(i) Accommodation - tents, sleeping bags, sleeping mats, etc
(ii) Safety equipment - as per requirements and basic first aid kit.
5. All govt. and forest permit charges
1. The above trek charges do not include the GST charges (5%).
2. In case if your trek remains incomplete or uninitiated because of "force majeure", a medical emergency, or by personal choice after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get a refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain unutilized by you.
3. Any additional cost incurred due to changes in Government Guidelines related to travel/trek/COVID-19 will be borne by the Guest.
4. Anything which is not included in Inclusion.
1. If cancellations are made 25 days prior to the start date of your trek/tour/activity, no cancellation fee will be charged.
2. If cancellations are made between 4-25 days prior to the start date of your trek/tour/activity, EITHER 75% of the total booking amount will be returned to the guest (25% of the total booking amount will be charged as cancellation fee) OR whole advance amount can be adjusted against any trek within next 12 months.
3. Rescheduling of the tour/trek is applicable only once, after that if you want to cancel your tour/trek or reschedule it again, it is not possible and you do not get any refund.
4. If cancellations are made within 4 days from the start date of your trek/tour/activity, 100% of the total booking amount will be charged as a cancellation fee.
5. If you book the tour/trek/activity by making a partial payment of the total booking amount and fail to make the 100% payment before 30 days from the date of travel. In this case, your booking will get canceled automatically and can only be reconfirmed once you make the full payment, depending on the availability of slots.
6. In case if your tour/trek/activity remains incomplete or uninitiated because of "force majeure", medical emergency, government policy changes, local strikes, or by personal choice after you arrive at the starting point, you will not be able to get a refund, reschedule or replace any services that remain underutilized by you.
7. Cancellations are strictly subjected to cancellation policies mentioned on the website & are irrespective of the date of booking.
8. The applicable refund amount will be processed within 10 business days.
Average Rating 4.5